Au Pair USA

If you love helping children and dream of spending a year in the States without having to spend too much money, you can do both through the "Au Pair" program. Travel to the USA and live with an American family while you help take care of their children. Basically you’ll become "the big sister" in the family, taking part in their daily life - from going shopping to taking trips. You’ll discover America from the inside.

The Au Pair program was created by the U.S. Department of State in 1988. Since its inception, the program has sent thousands of students from around the world to work in American homes.

Learn more about Americans and their culture as you participate in the daily activities of the family and the community in which you live. You’ll have a flexible schedule to allow for taking college courses that the family helps pay for and for making friends with American students.


When you participate in the Au Pair program, you become part of one of the most respected cultural exchange programs in the world.


Conditions for Participation

To participate in the Au Pair program, you must:

• Be between 18 and 26 years old;
• Know English at an intermediate level or above;
• Have finished high school;
• Have at least 200 hours of experience in childcare;
• Have a category B driver’s license;

• Have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the closing date of the program;
• Demonstrate responsibility and a sincere desire to work as a babysitter in the USA;
• Be ready for a flexible work schedule that requires sensitivity and calm under stress.



The majority of your costs will be assumed by the family with which you live. They will provide lodging, food, your round-trip plane ticket, and medical insurance. You pay only 400USD for document processing and assistance from AE.

In addition, you must pay a $160 consular fee for your interview at the Embassy, and a $35 fee to register in the Department of Homeland Security’s Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).


• Round-trip Plane Ticket;
• Medical Insurance;
• Required Visa Paperwork;
• Assistance from your sponsor organization/our partners in the US during your stay;
• 24/7 Support from AE - through an emergency phone line you can call at any time.


The Procedure

To enroll in the program you must complete the following steps: have you file done and get thru an interview in the AE Office to determine your eligibility

Your application materials must include.
• 2 Passport-size Photos (in which you are smiling)
• Passport (valid for at least 6 months after end date of program)
• Driver's License
• Diploma (certified English translation)
• Collage of photos - pictures of children, family, friends, and your life. You can add drawings, decorations, and comments to each photo to be creative and add some personality!
• Application Form.


Once you have registered and your application file is complete, we send it to our partners in the USA, which find you a family interested in connecting. Before you are hired you must complete a telephone interview with the parents of the host family… Put your worries aside, and just be yourself!


All program participants must first obtain a J1 visa after an interview with a consular officer at the U.S. Embassy. We will help you with your embassy file and to get ready for your interview.

Your Embassy file must contain some additional documents (separate form those you submitted with your program application):
• Original Passport
• Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status)
• Visa Application Form DS-160
• Consular Fee ($140)
• Receipt Confirming SEVIS Fee Payment
• Envelope File
• 2 pictures that meet Department of State requirements for visa photos

For more information please visit:


When you arrive in USA, you will be met by an Au Pair program guide and proceed to an orientation and training session before joining your host family. These sessions usually last 4 days and take place in New York. They include information related to: first aid, child safety, Au Pair program rules, driving safety on public roads, and detailed information about American culture. You can also ask other questions.



Once in the USA, you will live with a family, and your principal activity will be caring for children. You will be paid $195.75 a week, and room/board will be provided by the host family. You will not be permanently available to the children; you may only work up to 10 hours per day and 45 hours per week. The rest of your time is free. Please be aware that your status will be more than that of a mere employee; you will be a part of the family and should behave as such, participating in family activities and events.

In addition to your job, you'll be able to study at a nearby college or university, and you will receive a study allowance of up to $500. You are encouraged to study subjects to help you better understand American culture and civilization.


Vei face parte din familie si vei lua parte la toate evenimentele acelei familii.



Dupa cum am spus si mai sus, aceasta o sa fie principala ta activitate in state. In primul rand trebuie sa stii ca ai diverse responsabilitati in ceea ce priveste copiii, insa nu vei avea sarcini dificile in gospodarie.

Pentru copiii de orice varsta, esti responsabila cu trezirea, imbracarea, spalarea, pregatirea meselor, curatenia camerelor lor, aranjarea jucariilor, spalarea hainelor si a lenjeriilor. Trebuie sa ii supraveghezi in timp ce se joaca atat in casa, cat si afara, in cazul unor activitati in aer liber (terenuri de joaca, parcuri etc.). De exemplu, tu esti cea care ii duce si aduce cu masina de la scoala sau gradinita, daca e cazul.

Desi ziua ta de munca nu trece de 10 ore, atunci cand parintii nu sunt acasa, face parte din atributiile tale sa le supraveghezi somnul.


Munca ta se va reflecta in comportamentul copiilor de care ai grija. La acest capitol trebuie sa dai dovada de multa rabdare si intelegere, dar si de multa afectiune totodata.

Trebuie sa te asiguri ca cei de care ai grija isi vor insusi numai lucruri pozitive. Nu este usor, dar cu putina tenacitate vei reusi sa devi o "a doua mama" sau o "sora mai mare" de care sa se bucure copiii.